Thursday, July 12, 2001

7/11/01 - well, I havent really used my blog in recent weeks.. in fact I only think I used it once before this time, but something VERY scary happened tonight that I needed to remind myself of for the future. I was heading to my second diabetes class at the nutritionists.. I had just stopped at Subway to buy my dinner ( a 6inch roastbeef sub with hot peppers and onions and a bottled water) .. when I turned left onto US 1 (fed hwy) and was heading towards Sheridan at about 25-30 mph.. .out of the corner of my left eye I saw a young black man in tshirt and shorts run across oncoming traffic, and then continue towards my lane.. I was in the center lane, and by the time I realized what was happening, he was already in the left lane, running full tilt .. right in front of my car! I hit him head-on.. at about 25 mph.. I had hit my brakes trying to stop, but the roads were slick from just having rained, and I only skidded.. he rolled up onto the hood against the windsheild, and I hit the curb in the right lane, coming to a stop.. he rolled of the right side of the hood onto the ground, motionless.. I thought "Oh my G*D... there goes my life.. and his.. even though it wasnt my fault..!" .. I started to get out of the car, and he suddenly got up, brushed himself off, said "I'm ok.. no problem" and turned away from me and began walking away.. I didnt get his name, he didnt want my tag or insurance info.. I had about 10 - 15 witness in the parking lot where my car came to rest, who saw everything.. they said it happens all the time in that area and that the guy was probably on crack and didnt even know what hit him.. I examined the car with one of the onlookers, and there was only a scratch or two on the hood.. no dents or cracked glass.. SO - I made my way to the meeting. only 5 minutes had passed, but it seemed like an eternity.. I can still see his face on the other side of my windshield.. I wondered all night if he had internal injuries and died during the night.. I can only pray and hope not... and by the way.. that 'thud' you hear on tv and in movies when someone gets hit by a car.. THATS WHAT IT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE.

END

No comments: