Monday, July 30, 2007

Day ONE AC- Chemotherapy begins, or 'Pittle: The REBOOT BEGINS'

Location: Nevada Cancer Institute, Las Vegas, NV

Hello to all who read this blog:

Well, today was the day - chemo begins. The surgery was certainly eye-opening, not having had an adult surgery in my 38 years, but I was a champ and did what I had to do. Dr. Verni was pleased when he checked me out last Monday to remove the stitches. Said I was healing well.

But today perhaps brought it more to light then before - Tricia and Cheryl and I visited the NCI last week for blood work and introduction, get my patient i.d. card, etc. But today I was a PATIENT. And I was there for my first chemotherapy treatment for my cancer - Day One of Twenty - seems daunting, but I know it's what I have to do to get better. After all, there's a 92% chance of full recovery from this form of cancer (testicular, with small amounts in the lymph nodes - lungs and abdomen) - on a GREAT note - my brain MRI came back negative - so all my demented thoughts should continue as is LOL!

My awesome wife came with me and sat with me almost the whole time - she's a trooper for sure... got me food, etc. and basically kept me company - it was a good deal of support. I am strong, I know I can do this, but it's comforting to know everyone is pulling for me too.

Treatment really wasnt too bad, for the first day - and they said it wouldn't be - as long as I get a good night of sleep, and rest up... it should start to get to me in the coming days, though, so I've heard. So I have my resolve up, my attitude in positive mode, and a desire to live my life and stick around to accomplish all the awesome things I need to!

So don't WORRY about me - but think of me, and think strong thoughts for me, and I will be fine. Better than fine in the end, in fact - because something like this makes you re-analyze your life, how and why you do things, and gives you a chance to 'reboot' and start over, to make things better than they were, for you, your family and your friends. Thank G*D I'm not, but the words from Tim McGraw's song (which bothered me at first, but now I have accepted) 'Live like you were dying' ring really true and close to home - we should all live our lives like we got a second chance - instead of wasting the gift we've been given.

PS - check out LIVESTRONG.COM - it's an amazing site by the Lance Armstrong Foundation that helps support cancer research - gotta win it while you're in it! Read up and if you feel moved, please make a donation - they do a lot of great work!

Next report: Tomorrow! Update on JRP REBOOT: DAY TWO. Thanks for reading.

Pittle - OUT!

No comments: