Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A Global Update...
(or Where the HECK did Jeff go, anyway?)

Ok, ok - I disappeared AGAIN... but with somewhat good reason, I suppose...

Let's see - let me roll back the clock a week or two... last you heard I had gotten home from the hospital - WOO HOO!

I've been feeling MUCH better, thanks - mostly due to the wonder that is the INSULIN PUMP. I received the pump (and had it 'installed') on the 23rd of October... it's done amazing things for me even in the short time I've had it. From blood sugar levels of 400-500 (and I am sure in hospital, even higher!) I am now down in the 100's average, and hitting occasional lows of 65! Never since I was diagnosed as a diabetic back in '93 have I ever hit a low! It's awesome... and WAY WAY better than taking 4 shots a day!

It's a really cool product - basically a mini IV pump you wear on your belt - you change what is called a 'set' every 3 days or so... it's basically a little port on your stomach that the IV plugs into with a long thin tube that then plugs into the pump that holds the insulin. So you basically get small doses all day long, and the glucose meter is actually BUILT INTO the pump - so when you test your blood sugar, it tells the pump, and the pump can tell you how much you need to get you back to your target level! AMAZING! I am also re-learning to count carbs, as the pump needs to know your carb intake at each meal in order to know how many units to deliver to keep you regulated - I am getting it down, it takes a little bit, but it's getting easier as the time goes on - I should have been on this YEARS ago, but am grateful to be on it now!

SO - having my insulin and blood glucose levels under control ALSO means that everything else is going well - I am feeling better, getting my strength (and appetite, and sense of taste!) back, and with that, everything else will fall into place.

On the job front, I don't want to go into details, but I have received a job offer, which I have countered, and it looks like we will come to an agreement shortly... and yes, it's in CALIFORNIA... woo hoo! I am excited by the prospect - it's a really cool place, laid back, and does AWESOME national work - I would fit in perfectly, and the area and lifestyle would certainly be LIGHT YEARS less stressful than what I've been involved with lately - so look in this blog for future updates in the next few days on developments on this situation - but it's looking good! I actually traveled by myself (for the first time anywhere since chemo began!) to the Venice, California area on Monday and Tuesday of last week for a great interview... it was awesome to see the ocean again, even if it was the Pacific! - (GRIN!) Thank you again to everyone who's been sending me contacts and making phone calls on my behalf!

Tricia and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary on the 28th of October - it's amazing it's been that long - we've certainly been through a lot in that short time, only good things from this point forward... and Mr. Sam's BIG fourth birthday is coming up on Wednesday - hard to believe my little guy is going to be FOUR... time flies...

So, I've saved the best for last - and you know what they say... bad news spreads fast, but good news spreads like WILDFIRE - so I am here to deliver some GREAT news:

I had my cat-scan on Friday, and my follow-up Doctor's appointment this morning... I am officially cancer-free as of this point - the cat-scan came back negative - all cancer in my lymph nodes, etc is gone from the radar, and all blood-work came back at 0% on all tumor markers - CANCER FREE! There will of course be ongoing follow-ups from this point forward, starting with next month, every two months after that, then every six months, etc.. but that's a small price to pay to have beaten the craziness.

It certainly makes you look at life differently, that I can tell you personally - and now that my health is coming back, everything else will fall back into place - work, life, family, etc. And that's the most important thing - having your health so you can move forward in life and do what you have to do! And I have a LOT to do... I owe SO much to my family and friends for all the support and love and prayers from everyone who thought enough to think positive thoughts for and about me... and every single prayer made a difference. So THANK YOU all... your love and positive thinking helped me get through an amazingly difficult 'speed-bump' in my life, and out the other side, healthy, well and positive!

That's it for now - I can't even begin to tell you how happy it makes me to be able to deliver some positive news after months of what seemed dark and painful... keep checking back for more positive news (and yes, I'll try to keep up the frequency!) and views...

Pittle (cancer free!) - OUT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Tricia, & Lil Sam,

So happy to hear the great news! You have been through so much and are the true definition of a SURVIVOR!!

Love & prayers,
Jen, RN

Anonymous said...

That's all fine and dandy, but how does that affect me.

Glad all is looking brighter. It must feel good to take a deep breath and know that the future holds good things.

The best to all

marc

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff, So very happy to hear about your health news and new job in CA. Now the folks will have another place to visit. We all have a lot to be thankful for. We were with Wendi and her partner in Louisville, KY for "T" Day and it was wonderful. She sends you her very best. Hugs and prayers always, Benita (nbober1@optonline.net)