Day One - Cycle Three (continued)
"If you prick us do we not bleed? - William Shakespeare"
(OR - You're DAMNED right we don't! - Jeffrey Pittle)
Ok, a little bit of an update at the end of the day...
Got to the Nevada Cancer Center at about 8:45 (my scheduled time) and was taken in. Sat in my chair, and got my vitals taken as usual... then (apparently due to under-staffing) hung out until almost 9:30! I can appreciate it, so it didn't get me mad, I set up my laptop and did some work, and sent some emails... but THEN it got good...
The nurse came to start my port, usually not a big deal... done it a bunch of times... basically it's a decent sized needle with a catheter-type thing attached... they insert it and thread it into your vein. The last time they did it too close to the crook of my inside elbow on my left arm and it hurt/bruised like nobody's business... not a big deal though.
I wanted her to do my left arm again, so I could type... (I'm a righty). So she looked at my arm, and saw my veins, etc... and then tried to put it in... got it in... got some 'flashback' (this is considered a movement of fluid - a good thing), but then couldn't get a draw from the location, and since we leave it in 72 hours, she didn't feel comfortable leaving it in - so took it out.
HMMM... ok, let me do a quick back-story here for the uninitiated... I am a needle-phobe. YES I am also a diabetic, and have to give myself a shot every morning (Nice, eh?) SO - I am a big boy, and can handle a needle prick here and there, no biggie - no pain, no gain, right?
SO - ok, first one didn't work, we'll try it again - I can handle some more pain, right? Right? Um, ok... apparently I can, but my body wasn't too happy about it, because I suddenly got very cold and clammy, and my veins were more unresponsive... but we tried again.... this time closer to my wrist - DAMN now THAT one hurt... and oh, in case you were wondering - was ALSO unsuccessful! What the HECK was going on here? We didn't have any problems like this the first two cycles? Well, apparently I had used up my left arm pretty good (so I thought) - at that point my usual nurse came in and took a look at me, and suggested I go outside to try to warm up a bit... so I did.. sat in the sun for about 10 minutes, then went back in.
They then wrapped a warm towel around my arm... and we TRIED AGAIN - ok, a freakin' pincushion I am NOT, people... and oh, did I mention yet - UNSUCCESSFUL also! So that's three for three - NOT a good record - and it's about 10:15 at this point... I am beside myself (but hey, being brave, etc. and letting them do what they need to) so at this point we're all in agreement that the left arm is through for now (maybe ok for cycle four, but we'll see) - the nurse said she could see some scar tissue from the last round, so there wasn't any way to make the left arm work this time - so here comes the RIGHT ARM... oh joy! Ok, USUALLY the only time I want to do the right arm is for blood work draws, etc... I'm strange that way - but I really didn't want to hamper my 'good arm' (writing, dexterity, typing, etc.) but had no choice (well I have a choice, but it's not one I am looking to take - a port in my chest - NO THANKS)...
SO - we went to the right arm... they looked, put on a tourniquet... and looked... slapped my arm a bit to make the veins pop... and OH.. I DID forget to mention this part - so far all ports have pretty much been put in my forearm on the top of my arm (when you look at the top side of your hand, vs the palm, THAT side)... THIS time they flipped my arm to the soft pink underbelly of my arm... THIS didn't look good - WAY more nerve endings under there... she said "we're gonna do it on this side, ok?" I'm like - whatever, at this point let's get it DONE... what a moron I AM... HOLY MOTHER OF @#$!?% - THAT HURT... BUT... it's done.. WOW.. what an enormous pain in the rear (well, thankfully not there, but you know what I mean).... so around 10:30am after being there from 8:45 - I was ported, they hooked me up to the IV, and the pumping began...
I went there myself since Sammy is home from school Mondays, and part of me was happy I was due to the craziness, but MAN - what an ordeal (at least in my mind - remember - I NEVER had an IV before my surgery on July 16th of this year - kind of traumatic to me still every time we do it, but I THOUGHT I was getting used to the process - GRIN)
Got out around 2-2:30, picked up lunch for the crew at home, and headed home, happy to be out of there... went home, ate - played LEGOs with Sammy for a bit, and rested... An eventful day to say the least - but at least I don't have to go through THAT part for another 2 days...
Thanks again for checking in on me... more tomorrow!
Pittle - OUT!

No comments:
Post a Comment