Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"I don't believe in hell. I believe in UNEMPLOYMENT, but not hell." - Tootsie
(OR - How to get laid off without really trying...)


Or as Danny Kaye says in a favorite movie of mine (The Court Jester, 1955) "A jester unemployed is nobody's fool!"

Yes folks, I am out of work... as of yesterday afternoon I am no longer employed - at all, kaput, outta work and in a peculiar position in both my career and in my adult life - I am battling cancer, almost done with treatment, and now looking to go find work (freelance mostly, I would imagine, until I am done with my treatments) AS I am trying to heal... nothing like a little stress mixed into the situation to make me feel better, eh?

I am not going to go into details here in the blog, as wandering eyes might arrive to read my words, but it just goes to say that it was a little surprising, as I was really working hard, and so was our Vegas office - yes, it's all done as far as that's concerned - it's not just me... of course due to my next round of chemo next week, and my usual (although hopefully last) two weeks or so of healing puts me out until about the end of October before I could hit a full-time position running... NOT GOOD.... need to keep insurance in place at least until I'm done and can get new benefits in place, etc.. As stressful as it may be, Tricia is going in for an interview tomorrow, and going back to work... we're going to dress Sam up as a monkey and he and I are going to stand on the side of the road with an accordion to pick up some extra money - JUST KIDDING!

We're hanging in there, and we'll all get through it - just not great timing at all, but we're going to do what we have to do.

So, please as you include me (us) in your prayers, just stir in a phone call from Spielberg or George Lucas or something for me while you're there (GRIN) - Thanks!

To be serious for a minute, I am crafting an email, which I'll probably post here once I'm done... basically explaining (believe me, you think you know, but you have NO IDEA *laugh*) what I actually DO, my experience, and a few companies I would love to work for, etc. To see if anyone has contacts, or has a friend who can make an introduction, etc. As MANY of you know, I am pretty proud, and not the first (or second, or fifth) who will stop and ask for help - I much rather enjoy offering assistance, then requesting it... but I have my responsibilities, and my family to think about - so I am not asking for FINANCIAL help, mind you - but networking help... I'll post it up here when I am done working the details up... and I thank you in advance for anything you think of, or anyone you might know who might be able to assist....

I think that's it for now - Tricia and my heads are SO full of things we need to do, planning our next steps, and keeping it all together that they might explode - So I am going to stop typing and go hit Monster.com again before I go to bed, so I can get in those last few applications before hitting the sack!

Keep on SMILING (or smirking, or grimacing, etc. - whatever works!)

Pittle - OUT!

No comments: