(or "My, How Neutropenia* Becomes You!")
* Neutropenia refers to a lower than average white blood cell count
Hi all - hope everyone is enjoying the start of a nice 3-day Labor Day weekend! Be safe, and have fun!
Looking back a day or so...
FRIDAY - Started off early today, as I had an 8 a.m. check up appointment with Dr. Goodman at the Nevada Cancer Institute. Got there about 5 minutes to eight, and headed upstairs to the 3rd floor, where much like the bar on Cheers, everybody knows my name *GRIN*
Was ushered in at a few after eight, and had my vitals taken - everything checked out good, so I had a seat and waited for the Doctor to come in. He came in (this was just an update/checkup visit) and let me know that while my blood work came back neutropaenic*, it was still more than double last round, so that means the longer-lasting shot is working at keeping my numbers higher. It's a good thing!
He said everything else was looking good, and took a few minutes to check my follicle rash (looking better) and to listen to me breathe, also checking my legs for the swelling, etc. Overall he said I was looking good, and responding really well to the treatment, so he was pleased. I am due back in on September 7th for blood work (tumor markers this time, before the next round of treatment) and then on the 10th-14th for my next cycle of chemotherapy.
SO that was positive!
Let's see... what else is going on? I've been working on getting some software working so that Tricia and I can do a total re-do on her online store (if you haven't visited, here's a shameless plug - go check out http://www.myblingspot.com !) So I am almost done with that - it will add a lot of new functionality to the site (people who bought this also looked at this, may we also recommend these items, etc. etc) plus make it easier to view, search and buy! Look for the relaunch in a week or two...
ALSO: Over the past two years here in Vegas I've been very fortunate to befriend a lot of interesting people, both public and private, and one of the people I'm happiest to be friendly with is Mr. Domenick Allen. To look at him (photos below) you would say - WOW - he looks like a rock n' roller type... well, first I'd say NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER, and then I'd say, ok ... you're right! *GRIN*... Domenick was the lead singer of the well-known rock band FOREIGNER during the late 80's, early 90's - and yes sang lead vocals on some VERY well known hits (Hot Blooded, Cold As Ice, etc... admit it, you know the words!)... what most people don't know about Domenick (I could go on and on) is he's an AWESOME guy... he tours the country (not with Foreigner) doing very cool music shows and other cool gigs... He plays a TON of instruments, and has an AMAZING voice. His wife, Leigh Zimmerman is (and has since it's opening) starring as Oola in the Las Vegas production of 'The Producers' - so a true show-biz family! ANYWAY - I've stayed in touch with Domenick, and in talking he let me know that he had been involved in an 'unplugged jam session' with his good friend Clint Holmes and another friend, Bill Fayne - they were calling it "Clint Holmes: Unplugged Jam"... you can read more about Domenick and a review of the show HERE
So Domenick said I should come check it out - plus we hadn't seen each other in a bit - especially since I was diagnosed with cancer, etc. Plus he is working on a really cool television show concept which I am going to help him with... so I figured, why not? Sounds like a triple threat to me!
He left us two tickets at the will call for last nights show (the last of a 3-week run at the Excalibur hotel/casino) and so Trish and I went for an early sushi dinner, and then headed over to the Excalibur (not to trash the good name of the venue, but one of the SMOKIEST hotels on the Strip - I stay away from it when I can). The show was appearing in Louie Anderson's theater while he took a month off... also the home to the "Thunder From Down Under" (Sorry, ladies - no link to that one - you'll have to Google it yourselves!)... We picked up the tickets about 5 minutes to 7, and made our way to our seats - our own private booth... pretty cool venue - one I had not been in yet since living in town.
Clint Holmes came out to start, then introduced Bill, then Domenick. They did an AMAZING two hour set of ALL SORTS of songs (Clint and Domenick both being inspired when they were young by Sammy Davis Jr.) including a few songs from Clint's soon-to-open-in-London, then Broadway show "Just A Man" - one of which Domenick asked him to sing for me, which he told me after and was really touching - it's called "If Not Now When?" and Clint wrote it when he was diagnosed with Colon Cancer - It's an AWESOME song, made even more special for me personally for that reason. If you live outside of Vegas, you might not be totally familiar with Clint Holmes - first of all he is one of Las Vegas' premiere headlining performers - he was at Harrah's for a number of years, and is now moving from place to place until he lands at another major venue (plus the whole Broadway thing I mentioned!) BUT - if you think you don't know him - you're WRONG! Clint has had ONE hit in his career (a point he is kind enough to be able to joke about, and makes fun of in the show - it was great) back in 1973, it went to #2 - called "Playground in My Mind (My Name Is Michael)" - Here's a link to a clip of it LISTEN (ignore the video, for music only!) - brings you back, doesn't it? *GRIN*
So we had a great time, and got to hang out with Clint and Domenick and Bill for a little bit after the show... Great guys, and it sounds like they're going to try to keep doing this type of 'JAM' when their schedules permit... which would be AWESOME - they're great seperate, but fantastic together! Clint and Domenick signed my cd (which a good deal of proceeds go to the American Cancer Society - good going Clint!) and Domenick was very cordial and kind as he always is, I was glad Trish got to meet him... I also spoke to Bill (who composed most of the new music for Clint's Broadway show) about maybe working with me on an idea I've had for a show as well, so we'll see...
SO... that's it for now - this morning my back is hurting a little - a sign of the low white blood cell count, as the marrow where the NEW white blood cells are made is in your lower back... it will pass...
Listen to Clint's song: "If Not Now, When?" - I've found it quite inspirational, and I'm sure you will too! Enjoy!
Thanks for reading -
Pittle - OUT!

Domenick Allen and Jeffrey

Jeff talking with Clint Holmes
(as Clint signs his CD)

No comments:
Post a Comment