Thursday, August 02, 2007

Day Four... complete!
(Ok, maybe it's not SO easy...)

Checking in from the back-end of day 4... this one seemed EXTRA long... last night was a little rough... let me back-track a bit, if you don't mind...

After we left the Nevada Cancer Institute we grabbed lunch with my friend Kurt at 3 Tomatoes and a Mozzarella... little Italian place by our house... it was good, and my taste buds are still functioning as normal, so I enjoyed lunch. Trish and I then made a stop at Smith's (think Publix, all you S. Floridians reading this blog ) to pick up a few essentials... at this point my legs were getting a bit stiff - a new, unfamiliar feeling, and a bit uncomfortable. We then left there to go pick up Sammy at school, and then to head home (at last!)

I have been having issues sleeping since the surgery, and anyone who knows me well, knows I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat (even if you don't have one!) so this has been a MAJOR kink in my otherwise messed-up schedule these days. I have been up multiple times a night to hit the bathroom, because of all of the extra fluids, never mind the steroids causing anxiety and insomnia in general. PLUS, I kept the IV port in my arm for convenience reasons (it can stay in 72 hours, so instead of getting IV's in 5 times a week, it's only two - works for me!) But it's a little uncomfortable at night, because you need to keep your arm kind of elevated, so it doesn't hurt... so between the swelling of the legs and my arm hurting, plus the general insomnia, it's been a joy at night.

But yesterday they told me that I could take Tylenol PM to help me sleep - so last night I took 1, and it helped - I was only really up 2 times last night - tonight I will DEFINITELY be taking TWO and knocking myself out! And boy do I need it!

SO - back to day FOUR after updating you on day THREE already:

We got in today, and my usual nurses, Julie and Joyce were not assigned to me today, which was fine, but we got there at 8, sat until about 8:15, got weighed in (if you've been following my weight journey I weighted in at 172.5 today! HOLY MACKEREL!) then we sat down for a little bit, they took my vitals - everything reported as good... but they had to insert a new line today, so that took a little while, but we really got rolling by around 9'ish or so... so a little slow to start.

It has been a generally uncomfortable and long day - almost 5 hours there today, they put my legs up (the chairs are cool recliner types... ) worked on the computer a little, but was hard to concentrate, and the drip seemed SUPER slow, but it went by ok... listened to some music on the iPod shuffle, sent some emails, and prayed to be done ... even poor Tricia was outwardly bored today... at least she has her nail appointment tomorrow to keep her busy and out of that place for a while... I appreciate her being there to support me of course, just feel bad she is SO bored out of her mind :) She's my rock.

SO, we got out of there, finally... grabbed some lunch and headed home to wait for the Embarq guy to show up and fix our FREAKIN' internet service...how annoying! They were supposed to show up @ 2:15, didn't show up until 4:15! It only took him 15 minutes to replace a burned out modem...that was it! SO we're back!!!

So, my legs are still bugging me a bit, they don't want to give me a diuretic for the water-gain, but said to sleep with my legs elevated and to walk a lot, and after the last chemo pass tomorrow, sometime in the next day or two, the extra weight, and bloating should alleviate it self (WOO HOO!) That is my main discomfort at the moment - STILL no nausea, and feeling good - I am told the steroids are adjusting my attitude a bit for the worse, so I am trying not to yell and be mean, but it's like having the HULK on board... it just comes out... so I am trying to stay calm and meditate...

And I think that is a wordy enough entry for now - I'm sure I'll have more to report after Day 5 (end of the 1st cycle!!) is complete, and over the weekend and beyond. I am a little bummed, because I really had plans to go to the big animation/graphics convention in San Diego, but it doesn't look like I am going to make it at this point - oh well, my health is more important - I'll make it next year!

Thanks again to everyone for reading up on me and what we're going through... talk with you again tomorrow!

Pittle - Day Four OUT!

No comments: